American Downhiller has decided to create a whole new type of ski camp! We are combining two of our favorite sports, ski racing and downhill mountain biking in one awesome camp. We are going back to our technical roots and will be training Slalom, GS and free-skiing on the hill. In the afternoons we will get on the bikes and practice the tactics, techniques and decision making skills that make these two sports so similar.
The Skiing: Mammoth Mountain is famous for its amazing late season training conditions and this year is shaping up to be as good as ever.
- High quality training: amazing snow, long runs, high repetition.
- The best coaching: we will have two current US Ski Team coaches/former Olympians: Marco Sullivan and Dane Spencer, and US National slalom champion/Olympian Anna Sullivan. All three have rich histories of both racing at the highest level of the technical events, but also with coaching them.
- Daily Video Analysis: A super important tool for improvement.
- Home cooked meals and condo style lodging
- Impressive athlete to coach ratio
The Biking: The lower Mammoth mountain bike park will be open as well as local trails closer to town. We will focus on mountain biking skills and how they closely translate over to ski racing skills: timing and coordination, pressure control, cornering, line selection, and technical/tactical skills.
- We will develop and build on the fundamental skills of mountain biking
- Coaching: current Enduro World Series Racer Amy Morrison is currently ranked as one of the fastest American Enduro racers. She has won multiple California Enduro Series Races, Sea Otter, and is a top 20 EWS rider.
- Two certified coaches through the Professional Mountain Bike Instructors Association (Anna and Marco). Anna is also a current Enduro World Series Racer.
- We strongly believe that improving bike skills will help gain better body/line awareness that will compliment ski racing techniques and tactics.
This camp will feature 3 days of GS training and two days of slalom training. Each afternoon will include mountain biking skills development, and fun mountain bike group rides. Our Olympian coaches will be there to share training tips, technical advice and video analysis both on the ski hill and on the mountain bikes.
Meals will be home cooked by our private chef and lodging will be at The Juniper Springs Resort in the town of Mammoth.
Athletes will need to bring a GS ski, slalom ski and a mountain bike. If you don’t want to travel with your bike there will be discounted rentals available.
ELIGIBILITY: This camp is for athletes who will race in the U14- U19 age categories during the 2019-20 race season. There may be age exceptions on an individual basis. *limited amount of spots available.
COST: For 5 days all inclusive of lodigng, lift tickets, all meals and coaching the cost is $1,950* per athlete. This price includes travel to and from the Reno Airport for those flying in.
*if athlete has an IKON pass or another way to attain lift Tickets at Mammoth then the cost of the camp is $1700 per athlete.
** If athlete is a local and does not need lodging or lift tickets at Mammoth the cost will be $1350